We are splitting the costs of membership and event participation to ensure activities are appropriately funded and that the organisation is able to exist year around. Fixed costs such as licenses, accounting, hosting a permanent website, communication and promotion channels will be covered by the membership fee. The costs for other events will be covered through the registration fees for each event.
Previously, the cost of ‘membership’ was included in the payment to take part in the single POS event (what we now call the Open Studios Festival). In 2019, the costs were £125 + £30 membership, and in 2021 they were £96.50 (reduced as no printed brochure) + £30 membership. We are now offering additional benefits and events for a membership payment of £50. Just looking at an initial list of discounts we think it will be worth it!
If you plan to be part of the Open Studios Festival, the costs will be the £50 membership fee (payable before February 2023) plus £65 payable nearer to the date of the Festival – making a total of £115, less than in 2019!
A separate membership fee means that we can offer membership benefits all year (see below) and link membership to POS’s transparency, inclusivity, and direction.
Our members are Perthshire-based artists, artist organisations and artist-focused businesses (such as galleries) alongside patrons who want to support the arts in Perthshire.
Artists are creatives, whether they are sculptors, photographers, jewellery makers, painters or print makers. There is no age limit nor does a member have to be a full-time artist. If you teach art or run art workshops you can also be a member. Permanent galleries will need to pay a single membership if they want to participate in activities.
Normal membership will run from March to February annually.
If an artist wants to join during 2023 or at any other time, the cost and duration will be for the March to February period, regardless of the date of joining.
Membership will lapse at the end of the subscribed year.
Membership benefits will include:
- The right to register to take part in POS events, such as the Open Studio Festival or the Perthshire Art Trail, for which there will be separate registration fees.
- Membership listing on the permanent POS website with a link to the artist’s contact details, etc.
- Discounts from related suppliers (currently being arranged). Suppliers providing discounts will be given a QR code that takes them through to the membership listing page of the website to check names against a membership list. Members will receive a simple printed version of the places where discounts are available and a small pack of other information.
- Free attendance at one promotion/marketing workshop organised by POS per year, and priority registration for other workshops. These might include:
- What to think about for a video/advert.
- What to think about when framing
- Making a stall work for you
- Using photography to help sell your creations
- An introduction to the Makers Space in Perth
- The right to submit examples of work to membership exhibitions organised by POS, regardless of involvement in other POS events. Exhibitors may be limited by the size of locations or theme if used.
- Attendance at the annual AGM and voting rights on the election of the Directors.
- Membership of a closed Facebook group, that includes artist materials recycling opportunities, calls for other artist-related events and the ability to post to the group.
- Ability to submit blog posts for consideration for publication on the website.
- Discounts on advertising space in POS publications and on the website.
We are still in negotiation with some suppliers for discounts. In the meantime, here are some that are already agreed:
- Craigrossie Printing is offering 50% off image photography (flat images, photography, paintings, collages, etc.) The photography is normally £20 per image which with discount would come in at £10 – this is regardless of size but with no editing.
They are also offering 10% off their scanning and editing prices using their A3 professional art scanner @ 2400 x 4800 dpi (no editing included).
- raw image up to A3 = £5 per scan
- raw image up to A2 = £10 per scan
- raw image up to A1 = £18 per scan
There is also 10% off editing with proofs – this includes test prints and a final A4 proof on Archival Matt 230gsm paper, chargeable at £15 per quarter-hour.
- Rob MacKenzie from Wide Angle Media is available to do short adverts and video/photography work for members. He is offering a 10% discount for his services. He has worked for the BBC and is highly skilled.
- Greyfriars Art, the art supply shop in Perth, is happy to support Perthshire Open Studios with a 10% discount to members. N.B. Great news that they are staying open!
- WASPS at the Perth Creative Exchange have agreed a discount on the Forteviot Room for meetings and workshops. POS members will be able to rent the room at a reduced rate. It’s usually charged at £15 per hour which is £60 for four hours. The four-hour block is reduced to £30, a generous 50% off.
- 10% off framing at the following suppliers:
- Angela at Artisanand in Aberfeldy.
- Tony Fitzpatrick at Latchburn Framing in Dunning.
- Barry Allan Scott Framing at River Edge Lodges, Bridge of Earn.
Working in partnership
We are developing joint approaches with other artist organisations, such as Perthshire Artisans, GrowBiz, the Creative Exchange team, and (we hope) others in the sector which will include discounts on event registration but not on membership fees.